For the avid historian, or just someone who appreciates old buildings, for a small town, Dingwall offers a feast of historical buildings.
The oldest building, dating back to 1730, is the Town House clock tower on the High Street. Originally the ground floor was a school, which in 1781 made way for the town jail. The school was then built, at the corner of what is now the High Street and Church Street. The Town House has changed over the years, some reconstruction was done in the early 1900s to make space for Council Offices which are linked to the buildings behind, Carnegie Hall and Library. In 1911 the frontage was remodeled - as can be seen in the images below. The Museum can now be found in this building.
Town House 1905
Town House 2017
Down Church Street (left turn after the Town House) you will find Carnegie Hall and Library. This building is now part of the Town House, but as the inscription shows, it was originally the Public Library. It was constructed in 1903, partly funded by Andrew Carnegie, a wealthy Scottish born businessman. Carnegie donated a great deal of his fortune for good causes, funding over 600 libraries in Scotland between 1883 and 1929. Carnegie's funding was conditional on the communities showing a need and contributing towards the costs and further that the facility provided a free service to all. Look up to see the 7 gables with important Scottish figures and authors including Burns, Wallace, Knox and Carnegie himself.
Carnegie Hall and Library
Further down in the doorway to the Council building you will find a bronze plaque stating "The Beatles Played Here 4th January 1963". This was just 10 days before they famously took off and the story goes that over 1000 residents decided to support a local band, The Melotones, playing in Strathpeffer the same night and only 19 people turned out to watch The Beatles.
Take a stroll down the High Street and look up on the corner of Mansefield House to see a tiled plaque dated 1897 commemorating the jubilee of Queen Victoria. Down Castle Street three churches can be found dating back to the 1800s. As well as the Dingwall Castle Dovecot (see more details on the menu).
Back on the High Street, the Royal Bank of Scotland building dates back to 1906 and the Hydro Board building 1835-6, which was formerly the National Bank of Scotland. There are two hotels, the National Hotel dating back to mid-19th century and later 19th century Caledonian Hotel.
At the end of the High Street can be found the very handsome French Gothic style Free Church built 1867-70. In the grounds of the church you will see a memorial to Reverend John Kennedy, an important figure in the Free Church.
Free Church and John Kennedy memorial
Continue up Ferry Road to find the former Courthouse and Police Station built in 1864 with finialled gabled frontage. To the rear a prison which was built in 1842-3 and is now residential. The hospital, a single storey gabled building was built in 1873.
St Clement's Church can be found on the corner of Church Street and Tulloch Street - by the Cromartie Monument. This was built in 1799-1803 and there is a pictish stone just inside the gated entrance.
On Burn Place the Freemasons Fingal Lodge No. 318 can be found. This building dates back to 1826. The Picture House on the High Street was originally a Masonic building, as can be seen by the carved stone insets.
Freemasons Lodge - Burns Place
Some fine examples of Victorian houses can be found on Craig Road.