Dingwall Castle Dovecot
In the early middle ages Dingwall Castle was reputed to be the largest castle north of Stirling and it is believed to have been built by Norse settlers. It is also believed that around 1005 Macbeth was born in Dingwall Castle, as his father the Finlay Mormaer of Moray lived there at the time.
The Castle was abandoned in about 1600 and fell into a ruin once maintenance ceased after the death of King James VI of Scotland in 1625. It was used as a quarry until 1817 when it was finally levelled in 1818.
One of the corner towers of the Castle was transformed into a dovecot by Andrew, Bishop of Caithness, a keeper of the castle between 1507-16 A.D. and remains of this and a further few fragments remain behind the walls of a private house (Castle House) at the end of Castle Street.
A further dovecot was built, using the castle masonry, around 1825. Arbalestina arrow slits appear in the walls, but these were probably done for decorative reasons. This dovecot can be seen on Castle Street.
Dovecot on Castle Street
On your walk up to the dovecot keep an eye out for some incredible church buildings -
Church of Scotland (1909)
St James The Great Episcopal Church (1872)
First Free Church (1844)